View Single Post
      02-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
wisco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 328XI / 07 E93 335I

I just finished a project where I installed ZKW-R projector lenses, Osram CIB bulbs and Umnitza's Orion V4's. Total cost of parts $600. Took quite some time for the full project and a lot of fabrication.

To help answer your question, the ZKW-R is a very well worth project to take on just in itself. The cut off line is so much crisper. Whatever you do, do not forget to put brand new D1S bulbs in if you are still running your stock xenons from 2007. You're probably running at about 70% brightness with your 5 year old bulbs.

Regarding installation - you basically need to drop the bumper, heat up your lights (I used a Infrared heat lamp used for curing paint) but an oven or heatgun will work just fine!. Remove the lens, remove the large angel eye, remove projector shroud, remove 2 of the 4 bolts holding the projector lens bracket, bend bracket forward and swap the lens. I decided not to adjust the lens or space it at all because I felt the cut off line was pretty darn good as it was. I am going to research that aspect of the project a bit more, as the cut off line looked great to me from 15 feet away but it's not 100% perfect. Also going to research the mod they talk about regarding the high beam flap. I'm guessing it has to do with a straighter cut off or a slightly brighter hot spot right in the middle of the beam pattern. Ideally I want my cut off line completely straight across - not stepped up or stepped up to the right. More to come on that. If you're near Milwaukee or Chicago I could probably help you do the swap - feel free to PM me. Let me see if I can find some pics to post up.
Appreciate 0