View Single Post
      01-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #15
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
In beginning stages of planning a European vacation. I was born and raised in Germany but haven't been back since 2003. My wife has never been to Europe.
Therefore, everything we do/see will be new for her but not necessarily for me. I've seen a good portion of Europe, but a lot of it was while i was a kid.

Everything is still in early stages, but we're thinking approx. 14 days. Kick-off will be Frankfurt to see relatives. Then south, most likely near Munich. I'd like to hit Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria, then north to Prague. After Prague, back to Frankfurt for flight home.

Definitely will be doing the Cologne Cathedral, Nurburgring, The Porsche Museum and Schloss Neuschwanstein. Once we get into Switzerland and Austria I'm less firm. This is where I'm looking for suggestions on places to stay and see:

Zurich or Geneva?
Best places to explore the Alps via gondolas?
Is Lake Como/Lake Lugano area worth the side trip? What about Milan?
Good driving routes?

Anyone familiar with that area, please chime in. We're looking at August/September time frame but are somewhat flexible.
Rent a car and drive from Germany to Austria. We did this on our trip (Audi A6 hatchback IIRC) and driving through the countryside was one of the most fun parts of the trip. Yes, it is expensive to get a car for one day, but I think it's worth it. We stopped @ the Neuschwanstein Castle on the way.

(We started in Munich and ended up in Salzburg. The drive was only a few hours. You're starting in Frankfurt so it might not fit your itenerary, but it's an idea!)