07-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemaSam View Post
I'm giving a serious look at a CPO 2011 BMW 335D with 49k miles with M package and Nav for $30k. The hp/torque is amazing, and fuel economy is 23/36. I was wondering what you guys think of the $30k pricetag, and of this car/engine in general. The 2012 335i (gas) has about the same fuel economy as the 2011 335d (diesel), so I'm kind of torn with my decision.

Diesel is a little cheaper here in California, and I've heard diesel engines last for a long time.
Check out the diesel forum - lots of discussions there regarding reliability. http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377
The engines and transmissions seem to be bullet-proof. Concerns are the SCR/DEF system, and the apparent Carbon Build-Up problems (CBU) that seem to be mostly related to the EGR. BMW has had to come up with a SIB to clean up CBU when it occurs - we're all having a good-old time and sometimes bitter discussion about this.

Nevertheless, everyone loves the cars but everyone (including me) are worried about owning them out of warranty. Extended/CPO warranties are quite possibly a good thing on this car. You're in CA and have a 7/70K emissions warranty - but it doesn't cover CBU.

The 335d will get 5 mpg better than a 335i (even the F30) - for instance I get 6-8 mpg better than my son's E92 335i with MT. In perfect circumstances I and others approach 40+.
Appreciate 0