View Single Post
      08-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
Unfortunately no they don't. VAC uses Calico Coatings to coat factory bearings. According to the Calico web site, the coating will add an extra0.0002 - 0.0004 inch thick coating. To put this into real numbers, that would mean your bearing clearance would be reduced from 0.0010 to a range of 0.0006 - 0.0008.

Here's a link to the Calico Coatings FAQ on bearing coatings. Note they recommend 0.0020 - 0.0030 bearing/journal clearance.

http://www.calicocoatings.com/faqs/
Calico's CT-1 dry film lubricant used on engine bearings, valve springs, oil pump gears, timing and transmission gears is 0.0002" to 0.0004" thick and generally speaking does not need extra clearances. A benefit of Calico Coated bearings is the allowance for tighter clearances. Keeping in mind that bearing clearances of .002" to .003" are typical for High Performance applications.

Thanks for the information. But we are assuming VAC takes a OEM bearing and then coats it... Is this a correct assumption or do they machine it so the aftercoating measurements are the same as OEM (.001").

I understand the coating might hold up to wear better than the metal, but that is crazy if they lessen clearance... I would also like to see the properties on oil flow across the surface of the coating versus the metal.

And Tom, thanks for posting.

Lastly, my 2 cents (meaning my opinion - flame suit on):
But must I remind everybody we are on a forum. Forums are where people post when things go south (small part of the population). So without having insight on a full population (aka dealership data for the non-entusiast M3 owners), it is hard to say if this really is a problem. I would believe BMW does endurance testing on their engines of cycles more severe than "mostly highway miles" (no offense please) so I have some faith in the BMW engineering (though I still would have changed the clearences...). So I have a hard time understanding if this is truely a problem based on my two previous comments (an accurate population and durability testing).

Last edited by happos2; 08-23-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0