View Single Post
      12-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #33
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
Sure but it's a great marketing tool. BMW's bread and butter are the 3 & 5 series. The hype generated by a supercar is far better than some lame ad campaign on TV. It also helps to refocus the brand in the eyes of the consumer.

Personally I can't believe BMW has held out this long while its rivals have all created supercars.
I fail to understand why such a concept is needed to project image?
BMW has no need to project its image because a BMW customer already knows the product , what it is? , what it does? and how it does it?.
BMW, when you think about it, lead their respective segments.

The new 1er for example - has appeal because it takes the compact hatch and does something differently that is why when compared to the timeframe in September 2004 to Jan 2004 the launch in September 2011 to Jan 2012 has eclipsed the E87 model with the Sportline being the more popular option.
The 1er currently leads its respective segment.

The new 3er has once again demonstrated that leadership and domination is not because of the badge.
The 5er is the exceptional choice in the executive segment.

The new X3 dominates the Premium Entry SUV class. The X1 continues to dominate the Compact class and that is without being available in the US market. The X5 which will see a replacement in around two years still leads the segment. And with M. The 1M Coupe has sold out in nearly every country because it is simply a great product. And the new M5 has shown that reduced capacity can prove to be an even better car. And then you have the M3 , which competitors say "they" have an M3 killer and yet we still wait for the supposed massacre they promised.

So why should there be an emphasis on image?
When your products literally speak for themselves on a wide range of abilities. That is image and you do not need an unprofitable vanity project to help a BMW stand out because it already does.

The BMW i8 will be sufficient because it is all about desirability , innovation and fresh thinking for a future that could become apparent with compromise.