Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I agree Coral Springs PD appears to be better prepared to respond to a crisis, either due to training, officer disposition or some combination thereof. That does leave me scratching my head about the millions of dollars spent annually to put police on school campuses if they aren't trained or prepared to respond in a meaningful way to a crisis.

I wouldn't be surprised to see municipalities rethink outsourcing law enforcement to a Sheriff's office in light of reports about BSO's response. I live in a town that outsources to PBSO. Personally, in light of seeing how Coral Springs appears to have responded compared to BSO, I think questions need to be asked about PBSO's preparedness to respond to a crisis, not just at schools, but anywhere. Coral Springs seems to demonstrate that more control over your law enforcement works better than outsourcing to a sheriff, possibly with life and death differences. Maybe this was an isolated case where BSO looked awful and Coral Springs looked better, but it sure invites the question.
Now you are getting into the process of hiring and training. The better paying Departments and Sheriffs Offices will get better more qualified applicants, thus putting better Officers and Deputies on the streets. The lower paying ones will get the left over applicants who are now on their second, third or even fourth choice of places they wanted to work. As for training, each Sheriff and Police Chief determine how much/what training and equipment to issue to their ppl.

This goes much deeper then 1 or 2 Deputies choosing poor action.

And too the poster who said a Glock is adequate fire power during this type of scenario, it will do but a short barrel rifle is made for close quarter combat and better at long range and short range shots, especially since mostvall are equipped with laser sites which the hand guns issued to LEOs are not.

And one last thing....if you have never shot any type of gun in a high stress situation such as this it is not easy! It takes long hours of constant shooting and breathing techniques to control yourself and where that bullet goes. If you shoot you are responsible for every bullet coming out of your gun!!!! Huge liability!!!
Does Coral Spring PD pay more than BSO (if you know - I don't). What is adequate comp to expect a response in a crisis?