08-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
TLud, that's fair, and I agree that most wouldn't do without the creature comforts that we have become accustomed to. I would submit though that Mazda and Honda have been able to produce cars like the Miata and Civic Si that, while not anything near BMW's best in terms of performance & comfort, they do boast some advanced design and technology in their own right. Yes, they offer decent comfort, and also some nice technology (to add bluetooth to an Si wouldn't tip the scales dramatically). All I'm saying is that based on other examples out there, and with technology continually improving, it should be possible to achieve a new level of compact, lightweight high-performance car, and I would like to see BMW compete in this space.
One thing that doesn't hold back Mazda in creating the MX-5 and Honda in creating the Civic Si is that these cars, and to some extent the brands in general, don't have a history or reputation as "luxury" marques. It would be difficult for BMW to come out with a very basic, low-frills, pure driver's car, given consumer expecations of what a BMW should be. Most people would look at it as the cheap, bargain-basement BMW or the poor man's BMW, as opposed to the driver's BMW or enthusiast's BMW.

And even the Miata and Si tell the same tale. As they've developed, they've inevitably gained significant weight since their inception. The Si is now a 3,000 pound car and the Miata is pushing 2,600 lbs. An additional problem with the Miata is that it's just too small for a bigger guy like me (6'1" with long legs and broad sholders).

Again, it's certainly possible, but unlikely. I would also like to see something closer to this idea than the 1er ended up being, but I'm buying the M3 instead of holding my breath.
Appreciate 0