Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Got the keys last week.

Still haven't decided on what to do with the garage floor. I mostly want to eliminate dusting, and prevent stains if I spill anything during an oil change or brake fluid flush.
Sounds like ALL coatings, even professionally applied epoxy, are likely to come up after a few years.
The floor will likely do some settling in the next few years, so putting tile down right away will probably result in broken tiles.
I'm thinking of doing a penetrating silicone based sealer to help with dust and water, and just using lots of cardboard to catch spills when I'm doing work.

Any anecdotes about garage floor treatments that are at least 5 or 10 years old?
I'm about to seal the floor on my new garage too. I decided to go with the Rustoleum epoxy clear coating with the stain. I've heard the stories about the colored sealant peeling up after a while and being very noticeable. So I chose the charcoal stain and clear instead. I figure if it does peel up in spots, it will be less noticeable and I can just add more clear epoxy to patch it.

Latest update pic of my house. They are doing the interior finishes now. 10 more days and it's mine.