07-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #59
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
LOL. I've got 4 cars for just my wife and I, so no issue with me, which is why the Volt and i3 are on the top of the list when I retire the E90.

If it were a common family scenario as you speak of, it would seem to me the Nissan Leaf you be selling like hot cakes. I agree with you that most families maybe could get by with a BEV (especially with a 250-mile range like the prospective Tesla 3) in the real sense. But what happens when the power goes out over night during a charge and you had plans for outpatient surgery the next day the hospital that's 40 miles away... That's what people think about with range anxiety. Having a 200% - 300% family-range reserve that ICE gives you is not a bad thing. And being able to recharge an ICE in 5 minutes with stations with in 50 miles of each other all over the country is probably never going to be matched by an EV charge infrastructure. I mean, people in NYC can get fresh food everyday a step away from their home, but virtually all still have a refrigerator in their home with 5 or more days of food stored; it's just the way it is.
The idea is supercharging and having a fully juiced battery in 20-30 minutes versus leaving it plugged in over night. If the power does go out (which does not happen all that often lets be honest), your car would already be charged and ready to go despite the outage.
As it is right now, the infrastructure just isn't there but Musk does have plans to build this out significantly.
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
Appreciate 0