View Single Post
      01-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #951
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
It will not have a big affect if suspension is tuned correctly. It will be just more nose-heavy like Audi and most other cars. Of course it is not better. I don't think the S65 in the the 1M affect handling, on the contrary it maybe even improves.
Levi,

Just think about the most extreme example to get a better understanding... did you ever ask to yourself:

1. Why has Porsche never abandoned the 6 cyl. boxer engine configuration in the 911?!

2. Why was the 911 traditionally so difficult to drive fast until Porsche has started to bring the engine a little forward and introducing electronic damper and stability control aid?!

3. Why does the 911 need such HUGE REAR WINGS even for road use when compared to similarly powered 'super sport cars'?!

4. Why does the 911 need such HUGE REAR TIRES even for road use when compared to more powerful and similarly weighted 'super sport cars'?!

Take the Ferrari 458 Italia example vs the Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0:

............................ 458 Italia.................. 911 GT3 RS
Rear tires............ 295/35 ZR20............ 325/30 ZR19
Power output.......... 570 hp ....................... 500 hp
Curb weight....... 1380 kg (3042 lbs).......... 1360 kg (2998 lbs)

The answer lays in here:

There is no miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
But that is why I want the next M2 to be a turbocharged I4.
I really doubt that the M2 will have a turbocharged I4. BMW doesn't know how to do a lightweight, excellent turn-in characteristics car anymore.

Appreciate 0