07-12-2023, 12:20 PM   #74
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor View Post
That is a good rule of thumb for a driver. The shorter the club, the less towards parallel it will be. Let's say parallel is around 3:00 O'Clock then a PW should be around 1:30 or so. As jamesinaz said, it depends on flexibility. Think of using a hammer. What drives the nail deeper into the board? A fast, flailing swing of the hammer or a controlled swing making absolute solid contact? The latter is what will transfer the most energy with a hammer. The golf swing is no different. Just a much larger fulcrum.

Of course I am in my later 50s so I cannot even sniff close to parallel with my driver. I am around 2:00 or so, maybe a smidge past that. However, I make pretty solid contact and can still send my drives respectfully down the fairway. Of course I am around 35-30yds shorter than I was at my longest (40-50yds with today's equipment). Then again at my longest I was gaming a persimmon driver and using Titleist Balata balls.
I took up golf after Persimmon and balata were history. Anyone that could score well with that equipment has my respect.
Appreciate 1