Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Thanks for the post. So essentially, I should be eating about what my calculation from the Mifflin-St Jeor says, and worrying about cutting in two/three months? Shoot, there isn't much more fat to lose, maybe a few pounds tops, but I still want to lose it around my midsection before beach weather.

Lifting while eating at a deficit won't do any long term damage or anything like that as long as my macros are good, right? I won't lose much of what I've already gained assuming I eat right and don't cut too much of a deficit?
Are you still wanting to gain mass now? If so, don't worry about a deficit. Don't go crazy, like don't eat 8000 calories a day or something, but you can comfortably eat 500-750 calories over. Just follow your typical lift routine for gaining (if you have one). I've always been a fan of heavy compound lifts for size and strength. Limit your cardio a lot, it'll sap your energy, but don't get rid of it completely, it'll aid in keeping your fat gain at a minimum. Walking and light jogging is good, light bike riding too since it's low impact.

When you go to cut, get a good deficit going and bump up the intensity of your lifts. Less rest in between sets is better than just more reps. You'll naturally do less weight with the less rest in between sets, but you'll still be able to go pretty heavy and you can maintain as much mass as possible. When I am trying to burn fat, I always go from 60-90 seconds in between sets to 30 seconds or less. It might not seem like a lot, but damn you'll be smoked. I can still lift pretty heavy like this, but the intensity of the workouts is higher than my typical gain workout.

As long as your diet is straight you should lose minimal mass while watching the fat melt away.