View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Take it from an old man who was there - jump.

I have always been lucky enough to have gotten jobs at higher levels that what societal norms would have placed me. I attribute this to being raised by a very conservative father who taught me to work hard for what I wanted and never "saved" me from failure. He knew that is what made him who he was.

But somewhere along the way work became what satisfied me. I was always the first one in, the last one out, but also the one that loved to see others succeed too. That helped me a lot building teams. I learned as much as I could about the industry that I loved and excelled at it.

I finally got my dream job and dove into it full force, even though it cost me a relationship to take it. I did well at it, the company grew, owners rewarded me generously and life was grand - right? But I never married, I never had kids. I had a long-term GF that was equally involved in her work - so she understood.

Then my dad got sick. As I watched him fade and spent loads of time with him and listened to what he talked about - none of it was his accomplishments. He told stories of his large family, us growing up, etc. and I realized I gave all that up for my work. I loved my job, but it was not a 40 hour a week job - as many dream jobs are not. This had a huge impact on me and I started questioning everything - especially after he passed.

Then some changes happened at my job and I just decided to quit. No other job lined up or anything - just turned in my notice. Everyone was stunned. It felt so freeing. I didn't hate my job, I just realized I had shackled myself to it.

I planned to sell my home and move back to where I was from and figure it out, but luckily, I work in a small industry where your reputation means a lot and once the word got out, I got offers. One intrigued me, even though it was not what everyone would have expected me to do - which was kind of the point. This company NEEDED me, so I sat down with the owner and explained why I gave up my dream job and that I was planning to put life first and that I would not be that guy in the office 24/7 anymore. He said the perfect things and we agreed on my abilities to come and go as life called me and away I went.

It has been fantastic. I sleep like a BABY now. I wake up and watch the sunrise - not check my emails. I have a lot of the same customers as my last job and they are all shocked when I walk into meetings in jeans with 2 day scruff and comment on how happy I seem. Funny thing is - the new owner is so pleased with the progress that he cut me in on the action. So even though I took a big pay cut for this job (with the greatly reduced hourly demands as well) this year will be one of my most profitable ever.

If you think your job is unfulfilling/boring/unsatisfying/too demanding/etc - it is. Period. You spend too much of your time at a job to hate it or dread it. You can adjust to less money and less toys - but do you want to adjust to less happiness? Do you want to realize some day your kid(s) are leaving for college and you missed a huge chuck of their childhood? Do you want a parent to pass and regret not going fishing/golfing/shopping with them more?

I wish I would have had this epiphany 5-10 years sooner, but I am glad I had it.

Make happiness - not money.
rebekahb3140.50
2000cs3516.00
Bunnny219.50
Buug95917868.00
E91WAG3N1247.50