06-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
My opinion:

Brawn gave up on the 2008 season and started their development of the 2009 car earlier than Ferrari and McLaren, who continued to heavily investin/develop their 2008 cars as they were in a heated race for #1 last year.

Ross Brawn closely read the revised rules of the 2009 FIA regulaitons and developed their rear diffuser to act as a 2nd wing, improving the downforce vs the other cars. Even as Honda left the sport, he was very bullish on 2009.

F1 requires great cars, you can put Hamilton in the Brawn, and he would be winning as well. To have Hamilton go from #1 to the rear is due to the machinery rather than his driving skill.
+1, I would also add that it is not simple to "copy/develop" a similar rear diffuser since each part of the car is designed to work in conjunction with all other parts in the car. So simply adapting a similar diffuser may not (and actually has not) work as efficiently as in the Brawn. This season I think is over for McLaren and Ferrari. Expect some improvement by the end of the season but it is better to focus on next years platform.