View Single Post
      01-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #81
Rowdy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

It is not a sports car or a grand touring machine either. Its been purposely placed in it's own little special category that nothing else seems to fit, and I understand why GM has done that. But thats why I'm saying, the second anyone tries to compare it to any of the more upscale sports, super or GT cars.. that it really doesnt compare to anything! Its just not in the same sphere.. regardless of the price. Dont agree? Then look at how many vettes sell outside of North America

I think again, you're one who's comparing apples to nikes.. fair enough.. but lets look more closely. Not sure why you chose to compare a four door sedan to a 2 door pony car..

The 4 door 335i and the 2 door and much more svelte 135i are also drastically different beasts. Lets look at some facts (I LIKE the look of the current stang mind you and I'm a huge 65-66 fan!) But it drove like a can of smashed arseholes in MY opinion. Sure you might disagree.. but here.. lets look at the comparison and specs.. straight from the manufacturer..
The mustang weighs in at just shy of 3700lbs (base, stick, no sunroof or AC) the 135.. 3200lbs. The mustang makes a stellar 420hp and 390ft/lb torque (when run on premium +92 octane fuel, down to 402 otherwise)from it's 5.0L to the bmws 300/300 out of a 3.0L six. The stang is only just a touch longer with a wheelbase of 107in to the bmws 105. they are both 4 seat, 2 door coupes. They both come with either 6spd manuals or Automatics, the bmw gets 20/28 city/highway, the mustang slugs to 15/25. Mustang runs the 1/4 in 13.4, identical to whats listed for the 135i! hmmm.. now.. that brembo brake package you mentioned is not standard($2200 option!), nor are many of the other go fast goodies that help it accelerate, handle and brake harder.. Base vs base.. we're looking at close prices too. Here in canuck land.. you're look at 41,943 out the door for a BASE GT.. and the 135i at 42,706.. Hmmmmm..

I wanted to love the mustang.. I really did.. but the 1'er just seemed to be the better alternative for me. Yes.. the 135i NEEDS a better diff.. and the mustang NEEDS a proper rear suspension. Point for point right I think its a much better comparison than say a z06 to an M6.. which was my point initially. Lets compare vehicles that are in similar categories!

I still stand behind my opinion that the vette is ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
It's not a muscle car. Even if you don't qualify it as a "sports car", it's MUCH closer to that than being a "muscle car".

As far as the Rustang comment goes, Rowdy, I put the GT head to head with my 335i and I can tell you even though the Rustang feels bigger and much softer, the ride is more compliant and it gives much more confidence near and at the limit. First, let's put the price difference away. There's a chasm between the two and they just aren't supposed to be compared in that respect, but we all know the Rustang gives you less in quality and refinement so whatever, consider it a (generous) wash. It's very neutral and communicative, and it's not just me who feels that way. The Rustang is a faster car that inspires more confidence from the driver. So yeah "if you put the GT head to head with the [3]35i" I guess I would also say it's obvious which way you'll go. I haven't looked back and have a shit eating permagrin all over my face on even the most simple of jaunts. The ONE thing I miss from the BMW are the rear doors (so I guess that would make it two things technically). Other than that, the seats are better (CLOTH Recaros), it has a REAL diff, it's more compliant and comfortable (Brembo package car as compared to ZSP on the 335) minus midcorner bumps of course, inspires more confidence at the limit, makes an intoxicating noise, and has already gone 10k without an unscheduled visit to the stealer (something my BMW wasn't able to accomplish in all its 75k miles). So yeah the Rustang ain't the choice fer you maybe, but I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as you think it is for most. A lot of the points are highly subjective and that's going to lead to differing opinions. And we all know what happens when we have different opinions on the Internet.... IMPOSSIBRU!

But yeah that Vette is in a whole different category. It's supposed to go batshit fast on a budget and it does that in spades. Kudos to GM on the redesign and addressing their biggest shortcoming in the car.
Appreciate 0