Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
wow, ok, uh.... Not sure on the smaller sizes. I wear a 54L w/ a 38" waist. I have a much different problem than you. Still consider a custome or made-to-measure jacket. It solves all problems. Expect to pay about $700 for a good suit made-to-measure.
+1 on the custom or made-to-measure suits.
If you can afford it, this is the way to go. I'm 6'2" and 160ish, tall and thin, 38L is where I'd be with an off-the-rack suit. I was never really comfortable in suits till I bought my first custom one. Now I have four, and anything else just feels big and sloppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
Here's the deal. Suits with unstructured shoulders are typically reserved for tropical weight pieces (summer) and they are less formal. The reality is that you can wear a suit with a structured shoulder but what you are wearing currently is not the proper cut. Especially if you are thin you should have a cut that gives you more of an hour glass shape with a higher arm hole.

I am a 38R and if I put on a 39R I look like I'm wearing football pads. With suits it's all about getting the proper cut. The best thing to do is go into a good suit store and try a few models on. American manufacturers will be more boxy while European designers will give you that tailored slim line look.
Like he said, unstructured suits are best for casual/summer environments. A well cut suit will address the shoulder issues, and look at a European style suit with the higher arm-holes. This will give you the strong shoulder, without looking like a linebacker. If you go for a suit off the rack, also check out Calvin Klein.