View Single Post
      03-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

you have to learn to balance the two. the reason why you're friends are spending money like this is because they're not used to having this much money in their pocket. im sure they never learned to save money in college. they spent whatever little money they had. most people tend to increase their debt/expenses as their income increases. they're just not financially educated. that's all.

driving 6 figure cars with $50k income is plain stupid. actually, that's not even affordable unless they're dumping FULL paychecks into the car.

i used to spend a lot on clothes, going out, vacations and etc. then a few months down the road, i looked at my bank account and i have nothing saved. i'm exactly where i was at months ago if not even worse.

some people just want to enjoy their youth. others would rather work hard now and play later. i wouldn't go for either extreme but find the median. work hard but have your fun the smart way. don't splurge but don't be too cheap on yourself.

just figure out your income, subtract all your necessities, subtract a savings goal for yourself per paycheck then whatevers left over is your fun money.