Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarry92 View Post
If I convert a RAW file to JPEG, will I be able to edit that same JPEG file the same way as a RAW file? Will it be a good idea for me to keep all of my RAW and JPEG files onto my laptop; or should I keep JPEG on my laptop and RAW on an external hard-drive? I am a little hesitant because I do not want to screw something up and lose all of my files.

By the way, thanks for the cheaper references. Now I am really feeling tempted.
Hell no! Your laptop is voted most likely to get lost or stolen. You need an external HD where you keep ALL of your keepers, both Raw and JPEG (Many of us here throw away 90+% of our Raw files and don't waste time and space messing with them, but you ideally want double backup of your keeper files).

Flickr gives you 1TB of storage for FREE. Why not back up your JPEGs there? (They dont' take Raw files). Then keep an external HD for your archive. That's not a totally safe system, but you would need an off-site HD or complete Cloud backup to get better.

You can work with any JPEG like you do today with your in-camera JPEGs. Using the Raw file simply gives you more data and more latitude in your adjustments. LR, DxO, Digital Photo Professional and other Raw converters all will allow you to recover more dynamic range from your image than your in-camera processor. Do your levels, white balance, saturation, shadow recover, highlight recovery, S-curve, crop, horizon leveling, etc. in Raw conversion. After that, there's usually very little added processing needed.

Dave