View Single Post
      04-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #34
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well when someone breaks into your house at 2 AM are you going to call a lawyer or use a gun to defend your property? Considering the Supreme Court just ruled a few years ago that a State can use eminent domain to seize personal property and give it to a private developer to increase tax revenues for the State (i.e. the public good - wink wink) the legal system is not doing much good either. People who live in cities and rent apartments don't understand this concept.

Now, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison just came over to enjoy some home brew on the front porch; I must tend to my guests...
I'm quite sure, I will never own anything important enough that I would take a gun to protect my ownership rights. If someone decides to come in my house at the gruel time of 2am, I would rather just walk out, and even help him or her load the stuff they want from me. I do know quite well how to defend myself, but I see no need for property to overwrite humanity.

To us in the north, even the wrong doer is a human, and therefore they also have the right to be unharmed. In my books that's the way to go. I do understand where you are coming from, the cultural difference in these matters are just too big to even try to come to an understanding.

I'm sorry about continuing the OT.
Appreciate 0