05-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
We have a local independent shop that we have been using on our various cars (mostly Japanese) for years. I see people here all the time talking about using specialty BMW/German shops rather than the dealership.

I'd love to hear some of the reasons why I should or shouldn't continue to use my local shop versus a specialty shop.
1) Specialty shop can almost always get parts quicker.
2) Specialty shop already has a subscription to BMW's TIS (service bulletins and workshop manuals).
3) Specialty shop has the necessary tools.
4) Specialty shop has common parts (oil, filters, spark plugs, etc) in the shop.
5) Specialty shop knows how to do an alignment correctly.
6) Specialty shop knows how to correctly dismount/mount an RFT and TPMS.
7) Specialty shop has BMW-specific OBD scanner (the original GT1 back 20 years ago cost $25,000 and no-one but specialty shops and dealers had them.)
8) Specialty shop has any necessary software updates, and knowledge on how to apply them (to the 20 or so systems.)

Specialty shops also "give back" to the BMW community (racing programs, BMWCCA, clubs.)

Oil changes, brake work, yeah pretty much anyone with a wrench can do those. Anything else it's a lost cause. I use the dealer for some things, because no-one - including specialty shops - actually know anything about the diesels. The specialty shop I used to change my DEF tank said it was the first they'd ever done!

Last edited by floydarogers; 05-31-2017 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: support for bmw clubs
Appreciate 1