View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 07:12 AM   #1
pud237
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d

E91 330d manual - dead engine

Hi

I've got a late E91 with the N57 3 litre and a manual box. The engine has failed - heavy bottom end knock. Looking for advice on what I can do with this car, as I can't justify the cost of buying a used engine or rebuilding this one.

A bit of background, I own a garage and so have a full workshop available. I've been looking out for a scruffy 330d that I can buy to pull an engine from, but it got me thinking about what else I could do with this car. It's a high mileage, low spec, slightly rough looking E91 but mechanically very good - apart from the engine has just given up.

Is it feasible to use the manual box, prop, diff from this car on an auto? Can I just swap the engine ECU and any other coded ECUs to avoid having to do any programming?

Is it possible to use this box, prop & diff on an earlier 335d with the M57 engine? I was swayed to the N57 due to its better performance and fuel economy but now I know how fragile it is, I've been thinking more about the 335d. The only thing that puts me off a 335d is the auto box, I've driven a few and never been impressed. Can the 335d ECU be programmed somehow to accept a manual transmission?

Has anyone here done anything like this before?
Appreciate 0