View Single Post
      02-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
how do you control the power when you shoot?

i usually solely depend on arm/wrist action when I shoot.
I've been told this is a VERY bad habit but im used to it so I can't do much about it for now.

I've been thinking, and maybe that is why I can't shoot 3s.
Im more of a dribble/shoot inside player, not a good center or 3pter.

I recently started shooting 3s and it feels great when you make it. different than shooting from a short range.

I did some search and many coaches say you use your leg strength to control how far you throw the ball.

tips on how to shoot a 3pter appreciated. thanks.

at the 3pt line, the better you can maximize the chance that your feet are set and squared off, and you compress all your joints involved for the eventual uncoiling, and releasing of the bball at the highest point, you'll be in control of the power of your jumpshot. Yout want a rainbow arch, not a flat shot. It increases your chance of it rattling in and chances for a all net swish. 3pt jumpshot technique should be distinctly different than a free throw. free thow is majoredly just the shooting wrist and knees acting in unison for compression and uncoiling. Both with either type of shot, long as your shooting elbow is pointing down and your forearm is straight 12 to 6 from beginning of the shot to the followthrough, you minimize the tendency of your shots veering left or, veering right. Therefore your J's on avg, have better distance, and accuracy. you only have to deal with over shooting or undershooting. I like taking 3s from the corners, they are more challenging because the hoop looks 'naked' w/o the bboard backing it when you're facing it say from the foul line.

of course your form falters when you haven't practiced it enough to have it, or during game situations when defense is on you, or fatigue.
Appreciate 0