View Single Post
      01-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #352
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Yeah, let's ditch our 4v heads and go for 2v pushrods. While we are at it, how about a set of carbs? It's amazing what GM is doing with pushrod design, but let's not get carried away. More power than a similarly sized OHC? You wish. The ONLY, and i mean ONLY reason Corvettes are great at MPG is because of the gearing and also the TQ they make at low rpm. You can cruise around at 70 mph while the engine is basically idling and because of the large displacement they have enough guts to keep you moving. Rev it higher and watch how the fuel gauge needle drops.
OHV and OHC are both around the same age. So you're not going to win any latest tech argument. The first DOHC engine was made in 1912. First OHV was 1904 if my quick research is correct. Yes DOHC is technically newer, but in terms of DOHC being more modern, that 7 year difference when both motor designs are 100 years old is hardly significant. Both are old designs.

I think he was talking about physical size. A 6.2 liter DOHC V8 will be quite a bit bigger physically than the LT1/LT4 at the same displacement.
Appreciate 0