Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
radiant,

lock the aperture wide open by doing the following:
in movie/live-view mode, cover the lens with your hand, controlling the light that fills the frame, when the aperture opens up to its max (because of the lack of light), hit the * exposure lock button. untwist the lens by just a hair, live-view will turn off, but your aperture will remain where it was. turn live view back on and lock your exposure again to control the shutter and ISO. if when you turn live view back on, the display is twitching/jumping - your lens is unscrewed too much. it should be just a hair - up to a couple millimeters.

do the same thing with your hand covering the lens until you get the shutter/ISO combo you like and then lock it down - afterward, you can use the dial to adjust compensation. if you want a higher shutter speed and lower ISO - aim the frame at a bright light source.

cheers.

oh, a tip: if it's too bright outside for a wide-open aperture, get yourself an ND filter.
Thanks. I actually was told about an even better way where you don't have to trick the camera:

1)With the camera NOT in live view - Select Manual on the mode dial
2)Choose the aperture you want to use.
3) Choose the shutter speed > 1/40th
3)Set the ISO to Auto.
4)Go to menu - choose Live View/Movie func. set
5)Choose LV func. setting
6)Choose Stills+Movie
7)Choose Exposure simulation
8)Press the Live View button
9)Focus
10)Press record

Tried a few tests and it definitely works.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0