08-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
From the dexcription, the Xbox cable hl0m4n posted is has an HDMI end that plugs into the HDMI port of the Xbox and an HDMI end that plugs into the TV with an adapter that allows audio to route to your receiver/preamp. HDMI carries both audio and video signals, but if your receiver doesn't have an HDMI input, then the HDMI cable is worthless for transporting sound to the best audio output. Using the adapter, the sound is split from the HDMI cable and converted to a 5.1 output that many receivers are capable of decoding.

I use a similar methodology at home. My HDMI-too-HDMI cable goes from my PS3 to my HDTV. I also have an optical audio cable running from my PS3 to my receiver, since my receiver lacks HDMI inputs. The net effect is that I still get a digital audio and video signal. The downside is the inability to play SACDs through the optical output, since they have DRM like Blu-Ray movies that will only allow digital transmission via HDMI. This isn't too terrible as I have yet to purchase any SACD material.

If you have a receiver or preamp that accepts an alternate digital input and your Xbox (I don't have one, so I don't know) can output a digital signal via a different standard, you can purchase the cable displayed on the Best Buy link and another digital cable that matches the Xbox. I would personally recommend buying a cheap HDMI cable from Amazon, since the wire in that cable is more likely no different than the wire in a cable that only costs $1.
Appreciate 0