View Single Post
      11-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #414
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Okay, well resistance to water pressure at 175 feet below the surface is definitely different from needed resistance to the heavy isotopes of water, heavy water resistance, which is what you wrote. Plus, all the examples you provided were things that one does at or above sea level -- "shower, hot tub, sauna, whatever"-- and since you didn't even so much as hint at actually diving to depths below 50 feet or so, which I estimate is about as deep as most folks will swim routinely in the natural bodies of water, I had no idea your comment pertained to actually diving.

TY for the clarification. I can read what folks write, but I cannot read their minds.

And, yes, diving to depths of 175 feet does require that the watch one wears when doing so have a WR rating of minimally 100 meters to ensure the water pressure won't adversely affect the watch. The reason I cited the things that impair a watch's WR abilities is that those things are in play no differently for a watch having 100 meters worth of WR than they are for one having, say, 300 meters or more of WR. For example, the drying out and cracking of gaskets and seals will happen at the same rate regardless of the WR rating the watch has.

FWIW, I've never had water/moisture enter any of my watches either, aside from when the glue that secured the crystal gave way on my Movado. It's not a diver; it's merely a water resistant watch.

That experience led me to inquire of several other watch companies whether they too use glue to secure the crystal. Every one of them did -- although several of them told me they use "this or that" special glue that will hold up better than "garden variety" glue. I presume most watch companies still use glue.

All the best and dive safely.
Haha thanks for the kind words and detailed reply back. You're totally right about the activities I mentioned being at sea level of course, but I also live by the assumption that 200m water resistant means better seals, gaskets, and glue then a 10m water resistant watch. There is quite a lot of pressure under 600+ feet of water! That is "heavy water"

That is, albeit in my opinion, a much more hostile environment for the watch than a hot tub at sea level.
Appreciate 0