View Single Post
      01-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Unhappy I Need School Help :( ....

Hi everyone, thought I would share my situation and see what my fellow posters think is the best route for me to take . Well some background info about my self. Finished high school at 15, by taking an exam to give me the equivalence of a high school diploma. Originally took the exam because, to be honest, I wasn't being challenged in high school and wasn't really learning anything.. kind of a waste of time for me in my opinion. Officially left high school in May 2010 and began my summer semester at a local community college in the same month and haven't stopped attending (I attend year round Fall/Spring/Summer).

After a day in my first economics class I had decided I fell in love with studying economics, and how the market place interacts. After that, my major was set.

Being a person who loves to learn beyond the text book, I began to watch the news more and studying everything that is happening in the economy (great time to learn with everything going on). Naturally, I kind of became a stock market addict ,and i began to help my dad trade since I cant trade on my own being under 18 . 11 months left and ill be able to trade on my own though .

Anyway, thats some basic back ground info on me lol.. Now what I need help with is this, I am hoping to transfer from my junior college in fall 2012, and I dont know what school to go to or if i should transfer at all..

The Schools i applied to are these:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Los Angles
UC Berkley
UC Santa Cruz
UC San Diego
Cal State Fullerton

The schools I've been accepted to so far:
Cal State Fullerton
(the rest haven't sent acceptance or declining letters yet)

OK the dilemma:
I am worried that I will not be accepted to any of the UC schools because I have not completed 1yr of calculus and they require that their econ students complete 1yr of Calc.

Here is the best part, I didnt complete the year of calculus because the plan of classes for me to take over a two year period at my junior college me and my councilor put together didnt include it.. and when I went back and talked to her about it she said she made a mistake dumb on my part as well for not double checking . Lesson learned from that one

I am also worried that if I do end up going to Cal State Fullerton I wont be able to get a good job or be able to get into a good PhD program after I graduate because they are not ranked very high. But, the upside is if I go to Cal State Fullerton I have the option to receive two bachelor degrees, one in Economics and one in Finance within only two years, due to the amount of units I have already completed (around 80ish with a 3.6 GPA).

If I go to a UC school however it will take me two years to only receive one degree, being in economics. Also, if i do not get accepted to a UC and decide I only want to go to a UC school I will have to stay an extra year in junior college only taking math courses and hope to be accepted the following year.

So the question in short form:
If you were in my position which would you prefer: to go a school not so well ranked and receive two degrees within two years? or go to a better school and only get one degree in two years (if you get accepted)?

Bonus question LOL:
If i do not get accepted to the UC schools: should I stay in Junior college for an extra year and take additional math courses and apply again hoping to get accepted in 2013? Or just bite the bullet and go to Cal State Fullerton?

By the way almost no one i ask helps me because they ALWAYS say: "your only 17 whats your hurry anyway?"

Before people say this, I AM NOT IN A HURRY LOL. It drives me up the wall when someone says I shouldn't do something because of my age aka because the majority of people are slackers at my age i should be one too.. thats not really my thing... I'm not trying to rush through my education, I am actually just really eager to learn more and put my knowledge to good use, because of how much I truly enjoy what I am studying.

So if you were able to read all of that lol .....
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |

Last edited by Hisam135i; 01-09-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0