03-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #27
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
How so? It's already putting out 414 hp, with as much as 440-450 hp with bolt on mods and a tune. All of that out of a tiny V8 with only 4 L displacement. I fail to see how you can significantly improve on that without either forced induction, or a significant increase in displacement.
Honestly man, I wish I could give you the reference. I actually spent some time after posting this scrounging around and looking for the interview. A specific power target was not mentioned, but that there is significant room for improvement in that engine. I do remember two of the technologies mentioned was DI and internal materials. I'll try to look around for you. But I can assure you that, at one point, M's direction was to carry on with NA development. I think this was neutered shortly after the S65 went mainstream and new emissions regulations and corporate fuel efficiency targets came into effect.

That said, you're right about the GTS. That's a good indication, in some ways. 450hp is quite easily obtainable. The GT2 car makes 480hp. Perhaps that technology could be made more reliable and trickle down to the mainstream vehicle.

Don't dismiss the other "exotic" manufacturers as using "exotic" engine materials for their specific output. That technology which was developed a few years ago is very much available to BMW now.

Last edited by stefan; 03-03-2014 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0