07-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
There is more to the FQ than Bourbon Street and the food is great. I haven't been since before Katrina but I have heard it's not recovered completely.

The biggest reason I would advise against going there in the new M is Louisiana speed traps and the 65mph speed limit on I10 are a real drag. Going to Big Bend might be a lot more fun because in Texas, the speed limit on I 10 is 80 west of SA and you can go lot's faster if you have a Passport.
Well I can tell you that what you've heard is wrong. Any area you would visit in the city as a tourist was either untouched by Katrina or has fully recovered. Are there parts of the city that have not fully recovered, yes. But you'd have to go looking for those parts, you're not going to stumble into them as a tourist unless you take one of the "disaster tours" that will take you there.

Again, more misinformation. I10 has been 70 mph for years now. Yes, there are short stretches through Lake Charles and other urban areas that drop to 60 or 65 but you have the same thing in east Texas as you head into Houston. There is a long stretch of 60mph long before you arrive in Houston and there state troopers constantly working it. I know because my parents live in Houston and I make that drive all the time... Speed traps are everywhere, not just in Louisiana
Appreciate 0