View Single Post
      01-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

As someone who makes their living developing software and has done such for almost 30 years there's a ton of smoke screen with the current SOPA initiatives. All the internet based content providers obviously are not going to buy off on this. The Open source adopters and providers have an alternative already in Congress and backed by certain house reps which allows them to continue in their current business models.

As to who will prevail, My money is one the open source initiative as it's far less limiting, will be eventually backed by the big software providers (they control the industry by shear dollars and volume not content or features).

As a developer who constantly battles with issues revolving around offshore intiatives, projects and costs. I'd love to see something that not only retains and solidifies the rights of not only software developers but all digital content period. I say hang tight and see where this goes as it's way too early to adopt an aproach on anything.

BTW I've seen these same issues and initiatives so many times, in many different forms, over the last 30 years that is does not surprise me that the arguement is still out there. If you really want to affect the issue your congressman is where to start and check out what they are calling the Open Act for, IMO, a closer to reality version. I hardly would condemn a company for supporting either version either way right now. It's simply a business statement.
Appreciate 0