View Single Post
      06-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #37
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yeah, maybe they'll change to the Kevlar reinforcement, maybe it'll help stop the tire explosions. I would think they should be able to have a tire go low or flat and not have them unexpectedly explode, it was really bad in this race.

Watching the race, I thought I saw on some corners, the dirt on the insides of the curbs was dug away, maybe from tires taking divetts when cutting the corners, which may have exposed the sharp edged curb. This would explain why they hadn't had problems in the past.

F1 is still totally awesome, but I guess I'm old-school. I'd like to see them forget about being green and efficient, go back to the high horsepower,high rpm V-10's and V-12's, bring back refueling, with tires that don't degrade as quickly, and just let the drivers and teams RACE.

NOT looking forward to next year's turbo V-6's either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc19 View Post
There are reports that the kerb on the inside of turn 4 was sharp... Alonso points out that they've been racing there for years without a problem with the kerbs. From delaminations at Bahrain to 6 tire failures at Silverstone (4 left rears, 1 left front and 1 right rear) not to mention innumerable near misses (Rosberg and Vettel were very close to tire failures when their rears were examined) it paints a pretty damning picture for Pirelli.

It's bad enough that the drivers are in "tire management" mode... now they can't use the kerbs for fear of damaging the tire?

In a way, the teams do have themselves to blame, Pirelli did want to move to Kevlar reinforced tires (moving away from the steel used currently), but the teams did not unanimously consent to it. Wonder if that will change after Germany.
Appreciate 0