View Single Post
      02-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I personally have never dealt with any of these home insurance companies and now that you have pointed this out, I understand how they can insure these kind of things so cheaply.

Most HVAC company will not mess around replacing parts. Yhey want to change out entire systems since as you can see they make the most amount of money. The entire units cost them less then $1000 but they charge you over $4K for a days work. I had some problems with my furnace and the first thing they wanted to do was to replace it and the AC unit at $5K. One time is was the Cap on the AC went bad, and it was $20 part and the other issue was the gas value and it cost me $50 for $70 I got my systems back up an running.

As you probably know R22 is better coolant then R410. I know you can convert an R22 system to R410 with little problem, but going to R410 means your system will work harder anyway and may die in a few years.

I would push back on them charging you $200, did you read the agreement what does it say. I would tell them they need to cover all the costs since their person they select was unable to return the systems to normal operation without all the extra work so it is their problem, not yours.

I would ask you how long you plan to be in this place, if you plan to die there make the investment and get the best system you can and the most efficient. If you do plan to say around let them fix it, keep the policy up and hope it dies in a year and they have to come and replace more pieces.

If you negotiate you can get the entire system replace for less than $4K
Appreciate 0