DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
That has always been my fear (phobia?) of what it would be like just from the appearance of it. Now I know that's not how it is. Or shouldn't be, at least.
I've yet to know someone that didn't overcome their sushi phobia once they actually tried it. Sure there will be some types of fish you won't like but you'll love it otherwise.

As already stated, if it is slimy then it isn't fresh. If you poke it with a chop stick, finger, etc... and it keeps the dimple, then it is not fresh. If it has a fishy smell to it, then it is not fresh. If it is chewy (and it isn't squid or octopus) then it was frozen fish that the place thawed out.
Almost all sushi/sashimi/saviche served in the U.S. has been previously frozen to kill parasites.

The only exception to the rule is Tuna because it is exceptionally clean already; but even that is previously frozen to help reduce costs as "fresh fish" is expensive.

There is a process called "Super Freezing" that freezes down to -76* F it preserves the texture and flavor and is indistinguishable from "fresh fish". Not all fisheries have adopted this practice though. The industry standard is -10*F.
Appreciate 0