01-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
You have been listening to Hillarys camp a little too much... Our economy is fine we have not had a decline in GDP yet, we have not met the definition of an economic downturn aka recession. Employment is economically speaking full right now, yes growth has slowed a little but it still has not hit negative numbers.

Right nows a great time to invest or buy a house if you have the money, you are getting that great 10% discount which will continue to grow in some parts of the market such as housing. Right now I am about to buy a house and I figure I can get a 15% discount but I am waiting till mid Feb for a 20% discount. As for investments I have some cash waiting to go in once it hits my buy price which in most cases is 10% bellow current value.. Buy low today and hold and you will be very well off in 5 years++++, investing in the short term is never a great option and can be likened to gambling.

As for the US $$ yes its weak but weak because of speculation and this only help the US in regards to exports, we are not exporting more thus attracting more investment which will bring our USD back, if things turn out like Hillarys camp says then the entire world will drop into a depression and we will all die from global warming.
Day trading > Investing long term..
I will never invest long term, because it isn't where the money is at.. It is also more risky.
You invest long term and I will watch as you strive to make 20% in a year.
I'll go ahead and day trade, and watch as I make well over 200% in a year.

It's much safer day trading because you are in and out in a few mins/hours.
If you hold your stock all year long, there is a GREATER(let me emphasize that) chance that something could go wrong.
People that hold all year long are my best friends however, because they are the people I am taking money from.

I use Trade King as my brokerage, and my dad uses fidelity. Unlike him I don't have a 401k/IRA to get commission free trades.. :/ He uses Trade King on his other account.. Tried ScottTrade, TDAmeritrade, and I think one other.. Trade King has the lowest commissions, and I like their UI more. IIRC they are also one of the few that allow stop losses, trailing stops, and etc..

When looking for a brokerage I would disregard the interest rate on your sideline money and look for one with the cheapest trades, unless you just plan to buy and hold. 9 times out of 10 if you call the brokerage and tell them someone else has a higher interest, they will bump yours up.

If you are serious about trading I would recommend looking into.. (After you know a bit of course)
StockCharts.com (Recommend getting an account)
InvestTools.com (Recommend getting an account)
and I use Briefing.com for tidbits of info. (Free Version is good enough)

Clearstation.Etrade.com has some decent free charts, if you aren't looking to spend any money on an account in the other sites.

This is the perfect time to be trading, because the market is so radical and moves tons in a day.
Yes, trading stocks is like gambling but you can reduce your risk by knowing how to read a chart, looking at Industry groups, news, and a ton of other information that is available.

I still have much to learn however.. so don't take my opinions whole heartedly.

-Nathan