07-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #79
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Congrats to JB for a great calculated win!

Hamilton had it, and I think the call for the super soft when the rest went to softs was still right for him as he runs through tires a bit faster. His spin in the end cost him the race I think. That put him in direct contention with Button which may have helped encourage a pit stop to separate them a bit. Since he had to pit once more regardless, the loss of time was really what did it.

Also, on the penalty what I don't understand is that it was back markers passing by him. Why should the race leader get a penalty for impeding on a back marker? The safety side of the issue is important but surely they should yield to the front runners in all circumstances.
I disagree; Hamilton had a spin and stayed right on the track, which is pretty narrow (not saying he did it on purpose). Then with complete disregard to the fact that there are other cars coming at very high speeds, he proceeded to sort himself out right there and then. He knew they were there behind him, or at least how close they were. Di Resta even went off track to avoid him, and he wasn't a backmarker. No one was expecting Hamilton to NOT wait, which is what everyone does all the time when they end up facing the wrong way... (think Webber in canada after the first green flag, for instance). He was probably angry at himself, whatever.. but you just don't do that... the other guys had no time/space to react; one thing is to yield to the leaders and another is to predict the future. Luckily no incident came from it, though it cost Di Resta a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I'm glad Heidfeld got out ok, but that was certainly an exciting moment. I wonder if the FIA might force Renault to correct their exhausts as a result from that.
mm all fires are different, and there aren't that many. so chances are things could blow up if you let them burn for long enough... just a theory. one thing they MIGHT comment on is the fact that they kept going even though things were obviously going very badly (even heidfeld said he was hoping the wind would put it out). hard to say, it happens very fast.
Appreciate 0