02-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Whenever I get a new lens, I get this urge to go somewhere that will make good use of it. Latest purchase was the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS So hitting up the SF Zoo was probably the most reasonable choice in my area.

It was a nice day, but not quite bright enough for shoot at a low ISO. The lens is also very heavy and trying to handhold shots was a big chore. So I ended up shooting from 800-3200 ISO most of the day. Lots of noise, but the photos came out pretty sharp so I was happy enough. The tigers were shot through dirty glass (as you can tell).

I am extremely happy with the quality of this lens. I took zoo photos a few months ago with my 70-200mm F/4 L IS lens and the subjects were a bit too far away. The only negative for this lens is it's weight and focusing speed. A wider aperture would be nice, but I definitely wouldn't pay more for that.
You could have shot at ISO200 and got much nicer bokeh and subject isolation if you had used a fast prime lens instead of a dog slow zoom.

A faster lens is exactly what most people will pay more for, because of the above reasons.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0