01-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #231
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
To track the Z06, you'll probably need pads, tires and brake fluid. Thats it. The stock brakes will be good enough for track days. I dont know the cost of track tires, but the rotors are not pricey at all. You can get OEM(brembo) rotors from forum vendors for I believe under $100 a piece. Pads are not much at all. The base car will have the front splitter and the Z51 rear spoiler. Te 2nd level Z06 gets the wing we saw on the release car without the adjustable center part and it also get the side aero parts. I believe you also get smaller front aero bits too.
It's not so much the cost of the tires and brakes per unit, it's how many track weekends I can expect out of them before I need to buy another set of tires/brakes. Of course there are a lot of variables involved in answering that question, hence the research to find data that resembles my parameters as closely as possible. Fluid and pad upgrades are a given. A BBK on the front axle might be in the cards based on what I'm reading, especially for tracks that are harder on brakes, but of course the new Z06's brake setup may be dramatically improved. I also do like the easy pad swaps facilitated by a StopTech BBK, but I wouldn't buy a BBK solely for that convenience, and again maybe the new one will have an easier pad swap procedure.

The Z06 we saw had a rear spoiler with a clear midsection, which indicates it's the Z07 spoiler -- which in turn suggests that the mid-spec aero package will have smaller front splitter winglets than what we saw. That's just fine for me on a car that would be DDed and would therefore need to be parked on occasion, including on the occasional hill with curbed wheels, where winglets become a serious scrape liability. Still, I'm betting the mid-spec winglets will simply be shorter, not narrower -- but even that wouldn't be unwelcome on a DD. The Corvette has enough of a stereotype as it is.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0