Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Is going to college the only path to being educated? I "educate" myself on a daily basis from the world wide web. Of the things you've listed, I'm quite sure it can be acquired elsewhere...and yes, I did go unlike that stupid Litos guy with a hot wife, 2 cute kids and a great job. [insert sarcasm] for the Sheldons on this forum.
I think there's too much bullshit on the internet to consider it a real education source generally. You sure can learn a lot, I know I have, but you need to know what to look for and what to filter out. There's too many "wikipedia warriors" out there now, they think they know how to do vector calculus because they read about it on wikipedia or something... That's just an example, not a shot at learning from all online publications. There's a lot of good info out there.

I agree with someone else that posted earlier, I think this topic (or a similar one) was beat to death in a few other threads, and people get all fired up over it for no real reason. Going to college and having a degree doesn't automatically mean success in life. Some people really take advantage of their education and use it accordingly, while others are looking for a "golden ticket" to a good job but don't have the drive to see it through.

Higher education can be a great tool, but it's only a piece of the overall puzzle. If you don't know where to fit it, you'll still be behind. One thing the military did teach me (that I didn't really do before), you have to be well rounded (smarts, health, sociable, morals, etc). Success in my eyes is having a good family, good friends, and living a comfortable lifestyle. You can be filthy rich and smart but still be an ugly asshole with no friends and no time for family. Is that real success? Not to me... but to each his own.