View Single Post
      03-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #68
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Cars will always be a target for the more vehement greens though because they are such a visible symbol of fossil fuel use.
I suppose I'm one of these "vehement" greens. Global warming is not just a bunch of greenies crying wolf. Disclaimer: I'm married to a climate scientist, so I get an earful at home

But I also try to be pragmatic. Lowering speed limits will probably decrease fuel consumption a bit, in the short term. But I believe it will also greatly stifle innovation which in the long term, will mean we won't explore alternative fuels as much, increase mileage (at any speed), etc.

Example: The 335 gets respectable mileage. Good mileage AND performance actually should go hand in hand.

Good engineers love a challenge. Their management may not, because they have to pay more development costs. But can you imagine being a BMW engineer whose designs were limited to 55mph? The good ones will find another career.

Thanks for the discussion, needforspeed, and I definitely didn't intend to be insulting.
Appreciate 0