08-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #231
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I'd read that rectified is good to minimize (eg, 1/16") the grout lines so there's not quite as much dirty black showing.

Thanks, I never even considered terrazzo. But how cheap is "relatively cheap"? At $10 to $20 per sqft that a quick search yielded, that's beyond what I'm willing to spend. $1 to $3/sq ft is more what I'm looking for. This is just a personal garage that I'd like to maintain as a relatively clean work area, not a showroom for making money. Besides, as you say, it'll still need sealing just like a regular concrete floor, since the binder is often (always?) concrete, so I'm back to the start of my dilemma.

I'm thinking I'll end up doing it myself, whatever I decide on - and just have to deal with the fact that I'll have to retouch in spots every few years. I know that "you get what you pay for" but I'm not looking to get much - just low dust, easy cleanability, and no short-term unsightly failures. (Hmm, okay, maybe that's a lot to ask for after all. )
Ok, so it's cheap relative to the longevity, performance and durability you'll get from it.

I was talking about just having the concrete polished and sealed.

I have the same dilemma, i want a nice garage floor but, it's a garage floor and i don't want to spend time and money on something that is going to look like crap in a year or two. So i would want to do something that would last a long time, but those options are all expensive. Especially since i've got 1500 or so square feet of garage floor to cover. So, it's just bare concrete.

I do have some nice cushioned anti-fatigue carpet in front of the work bench.