08-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #32
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 View Post
I did say at the end that you can lose big too...

When I day trade I only look for a $.10 to $.15 gain. I use a 3 Day RSI indicator, 6 day RSI Indicator and, a 14 day RSI indicator.

For example with $100k and a $20/share security (That is high volume and volatility) You need a stock that has 10¢ or more swings in under 10 minutes.

You buy 5000 shares of company xyz @ $20.00/share. Set a limit sell order for $20.10 and a stop loss at $19.80 (Varies case by case**) You wait seconds to minutes for it to gain $.10 ($20.10), you pocket the $500 gain (Minus commissions).

Rinse and repeat. Now you will lose a few times from your stop losses. I minimize this from using the 3 indicators.

Say you made 11 trades today, you were able to get the $.10 gain 8/11 times. That's +$4000, but you lost on 3/11 trades -$1500. You netted $2500 today. (Minus commissions of course, and assuming you were continuously able to purchase 5000 shares after the few losses (have extra money in the account but only trade with $100k))

Look at it how you want though. I do have days where I am in the hole for $2k within the first few trades, I get discouraged and call it a day early on those days and take a breather, because emotions can really screw you.
N55, There is no brokerage house nor discount brokerage house would let you trade $100k worth of trading 10 TIMES PER INTRADAY! PERIOD! I wasn't a trader at a firm, but I work really really closely with professional mover/Trader. IF you have $100k in the money market, any firm would not let you trade $100k worth of trade 10times in 1 day!

T+3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
If you're making hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars a year day trading with very small amounts of money (<=$100k) as a side hobby at the age of 18, don't let me stop you. More power to you.

But don't be surprised when people are skeptical that you're able to achieve annual returns in the realm of 800% ($2000 per day for 365 days with an initial investment of $100k) using nothing but amateur hour quant techniques (macd, rsi, etc.). If you're re-investing capital gains then it's more like 5000% (2% returns compounded daily through 200 trading days i.e. (1.02)^200, income tax notwithstanding).

Anyone with enough gumption to read a few hour's worth of text online can learn to use these indicators for day trading, but I'll bet you a nickel that 99.99999999% of them aren't achieving anywhere near the level of success that you're claiming to achieve so easily.
Very well said NemesisX !!!
There are so many Technical for Dummies that it isn't funny.
All the crap that CMT wanna be talks about makes me ROFL. Those crap are for sheepies. Worse part is, I think these sheepies use "eyeball" (eye fk) method to calculate RSI, SMA, EMA, MACD, crap. Yes, those basic middle school math technical diagram with dry marker lines on the chart DOES help, but there are people who are actually using WAY more complicated stuff than these middle school Algebra Technical Analysis.

This is why I don't talk basic technical talk at TA forum.
If someone actually do reg analysis and run metric. Apply that with linear/exponential in Cartesian, Spherical, or Cylindrical coordinates, it is just 10-15% done.
Appreciate 0