01-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
Honestly numbers are just that- numbers. It's easy to sit there and compare the overall specs and say "well this car is better because it stops 60-0 in 5ft less, or does the 1/4 mile in 0.3 sec less".

The fact of the matter is that in reality, there's so many more things that go into how a car drives that the car magazines almost don't mean a whole lot to me, IMO, and much of the things these magazines say is very subjective.

For instance, just because a car is faster in the 1/4 mile doesn't mean you won't lose a race to a slower car (in the 1/4 mile) on the highway or something. These numbers also don't mean a whole lot by how fast the car feels.. Even if it's slower, it might "feel" faster, due to gearing and/or torque at certain RPM's. Also, two people could drive the exact same car and one person might say the steering is too heavy, and another person might say it feels just right.
you sorta lost me here... what do you mean the numbers dont mean much according to how fast the car feels? #'s are #'s... a car that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds will feel like a car that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. I don't think that feeling is really subjective. Yes there is commentary to what is more preferable to a driver (steering, suspension, seating, etc...) & those things I agree will have to be taken with a grain of salt. I think most of us are just not fortunate enough to be able to drive some of these machines to have first had experience behind the wheel. Thus we trust these writers & car enthusiast.