08-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #228
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You don't really need rectified. Unless you're going to mud set it and install it dead nuts level you're still going to use grout. Whatever kind of grout you use, make it black. It'll be that way soon anyway. Be sure to check the specs on the thinset you use to ensure it's PSI rating.
I'd read that rectified is good to minimize (eg, 1/16") the grout lines so there's not quite as much dirty black showing.

Quote:
We have recently done a few car dealerships. If you want something that won't flake up and is super durable, look into terrazzo. You can find it relatively cheap these days. You can have it poured pretty thin these days and run it up the wall about 4" and make your garage floor watertight. It's a forever floor. Having it polished and sealed is a good option as well. Any floor that will last more than a few years is expensive compared to the DIY applications.
Thanks, I never even considered terrazzo. But how cheap is "relatively cheap"? At $10 to $20 per sqft that a quick search yielded, that's beyond what I'm willing to spend. $1 to $3/sq ft is more what I'm looking for. This is just a personal garage that I'd like to maintain as a relatively clean work area, not a showroom for making money. Besides, as you say, it'll still need sealing just like a regular concrete floor, since the binder is often (always?) concrete, so I'm back to the start of my dilemma.

I'm thinking I'll end up doing it myself, whatever I decide on - and just have to deal with the fact that I'll have to retouch in spots every few years. I know that "you get what you pay for" but I'm not looking to get much - just low dust, easy cleanability, and no short-term unsightly failures. (Hmm, okay, maybe that's a lot to ask for after all. )
Appreciate 0