08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #226
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I used the Rustoleum epoxy with the decorative chips at a previous place, and it did start to peel up after a couple of years. I believe the key is applying that clear coat sealant once all the epoxy has cured. It's an optional step, and the sealant was not included in the kit. I'm still debating on what I want to do with the garage floor at my current place.
For what it's worth, I just went looking through Rustoleum's website - both their epoxy and their clear coat (called Rust-Oleum® EpoxyShield® Low VOC Premium Clear Coating) are listed as "amine cured epoxy". And they cost exactly the same, so I suspect you can get the same effect by simply doing two coats of the colored stuff if you'd prefer. I'm not sure that'll make it any more resistant to flaking.

There's so many different options, it makes my head spin. Penetrating silicone, top-coat acrylic, polyurethane and epoxy... Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Although thinking about the clear epoxy product - sure, it'll likely come up eventually, but with it being clear Patrick719 brings up a good point that it'll be easy to do spot repairs and have it blend in well.

Quote:
Nice looking houses guys. Patrick719, my first thought when I saw your house was that it looks just like my friend's place in Castle Rock, then I realized that is where you are as well. Most likely the same builder.
It's kind of a generic "Colorado in the beginning of the 21st century" style. At first I thought Patrick719's builder is the same as mine, but the sign out front is different. I wonder if it'll look dated or generic in 20 or 50 years? I'll see if I can find pictures of our Dallas house we sold a few months ago. Very different in many ways.
Appreciate 0