03-12-2024, 02:57 PM   #6
E93Seattle (Racerbruce)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 & 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubfed11 View Post
haha same. I found some good videos on youtube about it:

That has a couple parts, pretty informative but he has a fancy computer. I'm thinking what I'll do is cut out the bad section, tack in the new section and see if I can get the radiator pack and crash bar to line up along with the bumper and hood. I need the hood to get fixed first of course, or buy a new one. If so just weld it in. I don't own a welder so would have a friend do this who knows what they're doing.

Also thinking of just cutting out the bad and welding in a random piece that is around the same size. I know that if I get in an accident that won't be good but sorta just trying to do this for cheap. Cardboard is strong right? JK

I worked on the valve cover gasket last night and was a little annoyed...someone was pretty rough with the pry bar maybe? I tried to knock down the high parts without doing more damage...I might have knocked a small chip of aluminum into the engine...how screwed am I? Anyone tear an N54 fully down? Doesn't seem too bad but I feel like I'll misplace a bolt or something lol

Looking at the top of the block will I need a shop to smooth this out or should I be okay with the new gasket? I don't wanna do all this work and just have it leak again. Let me know your thoughts.

Also worked on the EKPM3 upgrades. Added the 60mm Noctua fan and thermal pads, heat sinks and a large heat sink but didn't fit so removed the big one.

"Also thinking of just cutting out the bad and welding in a random piece that is around the same size. I know that if I get in an accident that won't be good but sorta just trying to do this for cheap."

metalurgy question(s)....
-is the existing metal repair/weld possible?
-is the existing metal wall thickness weldable?
-will welding the existing metal create a weakened area?
-if there is factory epoxy used for the vehicles initial build, could the heat from welding weaken or violate the factory epoxy?

has anyone out there attempted welding this location? replaced w/oem parts?

if welded, will this invasive repair be disclosed in the future sale of the vehicle?

will the insurance carrier be aware of the weld repair?

i'm a fellow 335is owner but do have a few questions and hope you are successful.

Last edited by E93Seattle (Racerbruce); 03-12-2024 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0