View Single Post
      01-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #72
Rowdy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I actually HAVE had some seat time behind the wheel of a c6 Z06, a GT500 and an SRT-10.. Yes they are monstrously powerful. Yes they make a lot of noise. Would I own any of them? No. Also, dont get me wrong.. I'm not a bmw fanboy.. but a descerning car lover. I see and appreciate all kinds of cars. I was a huge viper GTS fan. It just looks amazing! I have a hard on for all of the 60's american pony cars.. and the brilliance of the new japanese all wheel drive powerhouses (subies, mitsu's etc)

Just recently I bought my 135i.. after test driving two dozen cars that were close in price and category. I'll tell you this, the mustang gt was ATROCIOUS. The gearbox was notchy, clunky and difficult (gf actually stopped and refused to continue driving it) the clutch is either IN or OUT.. and overall it felt like I was driving an oil tanker.. MASSIVE. Not to mention the terrible road feel and feedback. The ONLY thing I liked was the sound of the coyotes bark and well maybe the all glass roof... The exact same could be said for the camaros drivability. Unfortunately, I think it's even uglier and only redeeming quality was that the seat fit me better. So on to the G37 coupe... Which I dont fit in, has brutal vis and is the slowest of the group.. If you put the GT head to head with the 135i.. its pretty obvious which way you'll go and its a fair comparison. So that brings me to my next point. Lets compare apples to apples. Quit with this Yankee bullshit of trying to find a way to make the car a 'winner'

I know there are a bunch of muscle car fanobois on here.. and while I agree the corvette packs some punch.. I hated the feedback in the steering and clutch.. The car felt flimsy, I did not like the interior. I especially dont like the gaudy colour choices they've portrayed on the c7. I dont like how they are going for this 'dark knight' 'transformers' 'future-bulky-aggressive' look. I think its increasingly unappealing and awkward. But I am entitled to my opinion. I like cars that wont look dated when they come off warranty. I am a huge fan of that aesthetic timelessness. And you are right. That rear set of vette flags, looks like trash am firebird logo.. Are they copying ferrari now with similar headlights and shark nose of the 458 and the 599? If GM wants to play in the supercar market with the vette.. they need to build something that will honestly compete with an r8, 996, The italia, whatever lambo's latest offering is, The LFA and GT-R.. OR stick to the current formula and go after the db9, the M3 and M6, The latest AMG 2 door offering from merc. Oh what? it'll never happen!

Someone tried to compare Bmw's offerings in the same price category.. Thats like comparing apples to running shoes. Doesnt make sense. The corvette is built to be INEXPENSIVE PERFORMANCE, and it shows in many areas.

It was like seeing that stupid car and driver or was it motor trend? (regarless, they are both funded by auto manufacturers)cover.. where they pitted american muscle against a base 650i and then claimed to have spanked the germans. The american car is faster in a straight line and cheaper and therefore its better! Give me a fucking break!

Okay then.. lets put a ford raptor up against a base model toyota tundra.. hey look! the big three win again!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.. and mine is this, the new corvette is UGLY inside and out. Its akin to the vette's of the 70s! Just a big shouty awkward looking brute. Gone is the notion in my head that they will ever return to the beauty and style of the late 50's and early 60's C1's..
Appreciate 0