Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
welcome to the 5DIII club. time to sell that 24-105 and get some more primes! I shoot almost primarily with primes (professionally). I use the 35L, 50L and 85L more frequently than i use my zooms 17-40L//70-200L II.

You'll really notice the difference!
I have to disagree. I've got a 500mm prime and I used to use primes way back in the olden days, when their were few other options, but in these days of Digital Lens Optimization, there's little need for normal and wide primes, except for specialty shooting.

The film days are long gone. The system that used to be camera/lens/film, with little opportunity to correct for errors in equipment, we now have camera/lens/in-camera corrections/post-processing correction. Anti-aliasing filters in digital cameras result in Raw files that intentionally distort the "truth" when in Raw form.

Digital Lens Optimization software corrects for aliasing, geometric errors, CA, softness vignetting, etc. at every focal length, every aperture and every camera/lens combination. DLO is a game changer that too few photographer seem to be taking advantage of, or even be aware of. Don't dismiss zooms until you've tried them with DLO. Canon ships Digital Photo Professional with it's top bodies, with DLO included. DxO Optics Pro includes DLO and you can add a version of it to LightRoom.

In the old days, we shot Ektachrome or Fujichrome, trying to get everything right in the camera. Now, we expose to the right to maximize the file information, while realizing the file will look washed out and lacking contrast until we do our Raw conversion and normalize levels. If the lens had an error in the old days, that was it. Zoom lenses were not as well engineered and now the most noticeable geometric errors have been reduced and will be further reduced by applying DLO during conversion.

Time for most of us to leave our Fujichrome and primes behind and move into the 21st century.

Dave