View Single Post
      03-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #29
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Get ready folks this is just the beginning.
I have no problems with US EPA going after companies that willfully violate the Clean Air Act. Do you think it's ok for people and companies to violate it too?

Would you feel the same way about companies that violate the Clean Water Act and RCRA and contaminate your water sources by dumping chemicals and waste?

Unfortunately, you can't let industry self-regulate. Their vested interest is in maximizing profits. Period. They don't make the right choices if it costs them money. Environmental compliance is low of their list, regardless of how they may present things to shareholders and ESG. BTW, I'm an environmental consultant and work directly with companies to maintain compliance and fight/negotiate with states/EPA. I'm in mergers and acquisitions and litigation support. I see firsthand how companies operate and how a majority approach and view environmental compliance.

Most car guys and the Right think EPA is the Boogeyman. After 25 years in the industry, I've seen a lot and in most cases, companies generally have gotten away with murder and usually got a slap on the wrist when caught by the state/EPA. Penalties were usually settled on pennies on the dollar. Not until the last 10 years or so has EPA really tightened down on companies that have blatant and willful disregard when it comes to CAA and CWA violations. EPA has no tolerance for it now because it was clear companies weren't phased by prior settlements because it had minimal impact on their business.

The current daily max civil penalty for CWA violations is $64,619 per day and $109,024 per day for CAA violations.