View Single Post
      04-26-2024, 02:46 PM   #76
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
I have an interesting observation. I owned both a M340i and a M550i with DHP for a few years.

I found that the M340i has a very direct steering, does not feel nose heavy, goes round corners like on rails.

I found the M550i has delayed steering, you have to turn the steering more to rotate the car, feels nose heavy, suspension is bouncy with a bit more corner lean, HOWEVER it can go around corners with less effort than the M340i to the point where I am scared to go round a tight bend at say X speed in the M340i but i can go around the same tight bend at 5mph more in the M550i without hesistation and the car leans a bit but it doesn't feel it's anywhere near the limit of adhesion.

There's something about the RWS/DHP.

If there's one thing i want to change (that is easy to do) about the M550i is stiffer front springs. I think that would really transform it.
Not sure. I agree with you and disagree on a few items.

To me, on stock tires and running stock pressures, the 5 feels like it will lose grip earlier than the M340 (which I test drove). This feeling is exacerbated in the front-heavy M550.

I run lower pressures now, based strictly on weight (2.0R, 2.2F), and my 5er sticks really well and I have a lot of confidence to push.

I think if you were to make one change to the M550, aside from something simple like tires or pressures, then you should look at dampers. BMW dampers are too soft on rebound which is exacerbated with higher tire pressure. The car gets bouncy (as you mentioned) and skatey.

I think the M340 probably has a better setup from the factory, as the 3er is just a tick more oriented toward sporty driving. If anything you should play with tire pressure on the M340, as you could probably push it even more. At about 1800kg curb weight with tires with 95/99 load ratings, you could also try 2.2F and 2.0R
Appreciate 0