10-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #76
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
With the race just 3 hours after qualifying, there's not going to be time for any crash repairs other than minor stuff, so it'll be an interesting qualifying, especially if it rains . Hey, any guesses who's the best 'wet' driver? Without top speed an issue, ANY of the 24 drivers could qualify on pole, correct? Hope it's raining so cars are not a factor; let the best driver get pole .

And yes, looks like the safety car will be busy tomorrow .

From what I understand, in wet conditions, aerodynamics become less important (although at Suzuka, F1 cars still manage to pull some impressive speeds through corners in the wet), and mechanical grip and inherent stablity/balance become the big two factors.

From that perspective, I believe Renault and Mclaren should be very competitive.

What I DON'T like about rain (in qualifying) is that it becomes a bit of a lottery as well. You have to get lucky and get an open piece of track, be on the right rubber at just the right moment, and be fortunate enough to miss any 'obstacles' like standing water or wet kerbs to get a good run. This is especially true if the rain is intermittent like it was in qualifying at Malaysia this year.
Appreciate 0